Thursday, June 12, 2014

Its Was All A Dream...


My life has felt like an overly extend visit to the dentist where 60 hour work weeks have functioned like a prescribed novocain shot often leaving me fatigued and numb to dreaming. A decade later, through self-awareness, the novocain shot is wearing off and like a child recovering from his first novocain shot – I can finally start to feel my face. Self-awareness has ignited a skill and pureness I once posed as a child – the ability to dream.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane to mid/late 80s,
….In the 1,000th  back yard championship game between Tight’s Team and “The Rival Team” (where the only real person playing is Tight) the game is tied 100 to 100 with 5 seconds left in the game. Tight’s team is the returning backyard champ and has defeated “The Rival Team” in every game they’ve ever played for the title. This game is no different than the others, it has come down to the last shot and Tight’s team has the ball.  All kids dreamed of this moment – a few seconds left in the game with the ball in their hand. This was their chance
to be like Mike.  Tight takes the ball out, passes it to himself with 5 seconds left in the game, he dribbles left, 4 seconds, dribbles right 3 seconds, 2 seconds, pulls up for the jumper 1 second….. Swish….and the crowd goes wild and the crowd goes wild.  The youthful innocent Tight runs around the back yard going crazy and enjoying the moment.

…Tight and his cousins are at grand mama’s house with nothing to do. So they decide to watch every car that goes by. The first one that screamed “BINGO” or “That’s My Car” at the one they liked won - that future car would be theirs when they could drive.

…Tight and the rest of his team just finished playing a little league football game. While drinking a free soda given to them by the team mom and purchasing some French fries, the boys are sitting in the stadium stands while they argue over which one of them is going to have the “Finest Girl, Most Money and Best Cars” – when they were adults. This type of conversation was held regular by a growing boy. The finest girl, most money and best car was always the dream of the childhood boy. Jay Z is living the childhood dream.

Back to the future..
Just like the protagonist in Paulo Coelho’s “The Alchemist”, I’ve been on a journey. However, my journey was leading me towards that of the merchant and not my personal legend – further drying up my dream(s) like a raisin in the sun. The life envisioned by family and friends was embedded in me as a child which started me down the merchant’s path.  The gold handcuffs (My salary and my bills) keep me down this path. Lastly, the goals of others (i.e. Company Leadership’s and their company and personnel goals) desensitize me from my personnel legend. All combined held guardianship of my inner child -my dreams and my creativity.

Dreaming leads to Hope…..A nurtured dream is the seed that blossoms into the tree of hope which can produce the fruit of realism. So, when you hear Dr. Martin Luther King begin one of the most popular speeches in US History with “I have a dream” or when you hear BIGGY begin one of the all-time greatest hip-hop songs with “It was all a dream…” or when then Senator Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election off of HOPE… recognize those dreams were seeds that lead to movements and that’s why self-awareness has Tight fighting for custody of his inner child.... Tight Tight

No comments:

Leave a Comment

Welcome To The Conversation!