Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Cost of Living

You're Born. You Shit. and then You Die.  -- in that order.

The language is crude, but the cycle is even crueler. See, in the past month I've seen 3 beloved comrades drift into death's arms, each one of them gone too soon. Two leaving behind devoted spouses, Two leaving small children, all Three with many years of promising future ahead. Gone too soon.

I agree with the young man that said "death sucks". I've witnessed it snatch away some of my closest influences, and it's taken many innocent lives for its own, often times without warning or justification; like a thief in the night. And the unfortunate irony of it all, is that we will all be visited one day.

You're Born.You Shit. and then You Die.

But even with death, as petrifying as it is, being the inevitable fate, there should be an admission that LIFE has it's own share of horrors, for the cost of living is high. Life is filled with heartache, disappointment, sadness, pain, defeat, hatred, sacrifice -- to name a few. To a degree,  life can be summed as a compilation of numerous tiny deaths. A piece of me died when - I didn't get the job they said I was over qualified for. I died when- she told me that somebody else had caught her eye. I died when - I received that letter that said I was on academic probation for a full year. I died when- I found out my best friend had stabbed me in the back for their own personal gain. The cost of living is high. It takes a lot to endure the adversity and hardship that we encounter in life everyday. The cost is now so high that at this point some people can't seem to afford it. Living in 2014 will cost you:

A couple of world wars + significant unemployment rates + outrageous debt + race/gender inequality + corrupt politics + unjust justice + poor educational system +  irresponsible social media x 50 = BULLSHIT

And now we see these pressures being reflected in ramped up rates of mental illness, crime, and suicide. The cost is too high and people are sliding into deeper deficits.

You're Born. Get Shit On. and then you Die.

It's hard to live. But life has its purpose, and I suppose our experiences have purpose too. Each time we die one of life's small deaths, we granted an opportunity to resurrect ourselves and bounce back stronger, wiser, and more equipped than we were before. When we endure our situations and overcome the obstacles, we are able to live again. Our triumphs are made doubly beautiful when they put us in the position to facilitate the resurrection of others. There's fulfillment in lifting people out of their deficits, alleviating pressure,  and saving lives. Could it be that the cycle is rational and death is the motivation?The thought of knowing one day it will be OVER serving gas to go as hard in life as you can, while you can. All while answering the questions of..How will I be remembered? What will my legacy be? How will my obituary read?

You're Born. You Shit. and then You Die -- but Live first. --- BG


No comments:

Leave a Comment

Welcome To The Conversation!